Friday, March 20, 2009

The Most Romantic Words Ever Written


I swear, I am not a romantic, and it's bloody hard to get my heart all blooming like this but while going through Auden's poems with my 20th Ce British Literature students, I really did feel something. I dont know what it was but it felt warm and fuzzy. Hmm. *Uncomfortable look. :P

This excerpt is from Auden's beautiful poem As I Walked Out One Evening. I tell you ah, if someone comes up to me and utters these words sincerely.. I am convinced that I'll be affected. LOL.

Question of the Hour: Which poem do you think would or had affect/ed you the most, romantically speaking, of course?



'I'll love you, dear, I'll love you
Till China and Africa meet,
And the river jumps over the mountain
And the salmon sing in the street,

'I'll love you till the ocean
Is folded
and hung up to dry
And the seven stars go squawking
Like geese about the sky.

'The years shall run like rabbits,
For in my arms I hold
The Flower of the Ages,
And the first love of the world.'

4 poetic mutterings:

Nore said...

All Pablo Neruda's poems.=)

-Syahirah

Akmal Azeman said...

hmmm...i wonderla kan, whther is thr sumting wrong wit me since i nvr really like love poem. whn i read or heard any love poem, the words will b just words n those words just would not seep into my vein. perhaps...sbb i nvr fall in love? LOL! :S

hence. i usually ended up writing things that have to do wit life, kl i write sumting about love, it will usually go like this one:

http://kemaazeman.blogspot.com/2009/03/definisi.html

Baronhawk said...

What? The indomitable, ego-protected and love-averse Sheena touched? By the tendrils of romanticism nonetheless.

Ha ha ha ha.

I told ya...

"there is something in human hearts,
strings that are just dying to be touched,
like mournful guitars by hopeful fingers,
the fragile melody of love's embers." ~ Baronhawk

It seems I am the only one left then, A fortress, Strong and Impregnable. The bulwark against such futile emotive tremors such as these.

Though I can't help but imagine long lines of guys and near graduating students awaiting outside of your office waiting for their appointment with you and trying to slip in a reading of this poem in the resulting conversation.

Ha ha ha ha. I am probably going to laugh this off for days to come. Though my snide brain doth think it worthwhile to actually get in line with the other guys above just to see you "warm and fuzzy" and "uncomfortable looking." Though my reading of any poem are not well known to affect anyone in that way... as yet.

Anyway, in answer to your question, a poem that has affected me most romantically... that still begs the question.

For being the Fortress that I am, words that would effect me romantically, is probably yet to be read, uttered or spoken. In my presence at least.

Though... probably it still lies hidden, somewhere, on a page, in the voice box or perhaps in the heart of someone... some such.

Sheena Baharudin said...

Syahirah: Excellent. My fave Neruda poem is "If You Forget me".

Akmal: Sungguh sinis! Kejam bisa! :) Nice one, Akmal.

Haz: I am still the indomitable, ego-protected and love-averse character lah!