Monday, April 27, 2009

Fave Poem of the Day

I can't sleep. And I have internet access. Not a good combo. So here we go.

Alpha Zulu
by Gary Copeland Lilley

I know more people dead than people alive,
my insomniac answer to self-addressed prayers

is that in the small hours even God drinks alone.
My self-portrait; gray locks in the beard, red eyes

burning back in the mirror, the truths of grooves
and nicks on my face, one missing tooth.

I'm a man who's gathered too many addresses,
too many goodbyes. There's not much money

or time left to keep on subtracting from my life.
Except for needs I can pack everything I have

into my old black sea-bag. To all the bloods
I'll raise a bourbon, plant my elbow on the bar

and drink to the odds that one more shot
won't have me wearing a suit of blues.

I'm so exposed, with you all of me is at risk,
and if that's only one side of being in love

that's the one deep down that proves it.
Here you are sleeping with me, narcotic as night,

naked as an open hand, and the skinny of it is,
what makes you think I am afraid of this

when I once lived in a cave, moss on the cold wall,
all my bones scattered across the floor.

3 poetic mutterings:

Baronhawk said...

Dear Sheena,

Thanks for sharing this
splendid sublime beautiful
dig this poet, do I now him?
his words speak-echo thoughts
tid-bits fragment my tired soul
nigh the end near-accurate
the longing panting wanting
albeit in mine more clumsily.

Sincerely,

Hazlan.

Sheena Baharudin said...

Welcome Haz. I don't know the poet that well but yeah, me too, the poem is indeed exquisite. Very concise, powerful.

I shall learn to write like this! Kan kan kan?

Baronhawk said...

Dear Sheena,

(In best Yoda imitation voice)

"Learn to write like these you will, my sexy young apprentice."

(In best earnest, true blue and sincere Hazlan voice)

Yes yes yes!
I do believe
you shall learn;
to write like this...(The Poem Alpha Zulu and everything else in between his finger toe nails)

perhaps I should too,
it shall be interesting,
learning;
to write like this...(The poem Alpha Zulu dan kawasan-kawasan yang sewaktu dengannya)

Sincerely,

Hazlan.