Friday, August 24, 2012



(translated by Jennifer Ferrarro and Latif Bolat)

I hide Your beauty in my eye; 
Whatever I look at, 
There You are. 

I hide Your presence in my heart; 
How could a stranger live there? 
There You are. 

You are my foundation and my all; 
My intimate one and the word on my tongue; 
You bring the greeting from my darling one; 
Within that greeting, 
There You are. 

All the blossoms and tender leaves 
They hide their beauty in reds and greens 
In night’s darkness and the dawn’s first beams. 
As each one awakens, 
There You are. 

You are the one who made creation, 
who gave life and strength to every being. 
There is no ending except for You 
I believe and accept what I am seeing: 
There You are. 

The flute moans ‘Huuu’ in ecstasy 
The waves are roaring, the seas are rushing, 
The sun appears to veil the stars 
In its rays’ vast shining, 
There You are. 

You are the one who makes Veysel speak; 
You are the tree and I am your leaf. 
The unconscious fly right by what they seek. 
In both the fruit and seed, 
There You are. 


Bumped into this poem while doing my research for the next Numinous. The first time his voice emerged from the haunting song, I got goosebumps all over my body and I felt a sadness that I don't think I'll ever understand. 

Obviously taken, I did a bit more reading on this amazing artist. So here are the things you should know about Asik Veysel (taken from here and here):


  • The “Asık” is a wandering troubadour, singing poetry of their own composition accompanied by the saz (a stringed instrument). 
  • Considered the descendants of the tradition of Yunus Emre, “asiks” became the voice of common people, expressing their relationship with their land; their loves, inner conflicts, and expectations--generally depicting all aspects of rural life. 
  • Born Veysel Satiroglu in the Sivrialan village of Sarkisla district of Sivas, Asık Veysel (1894-1973) is one of the most renowned representatives of the “asık” tradition in 20th century Turkey, which dates back to the 15th century in Anatolia. 
  • He lost his sight at the age of 7 during a smallpox epidemic. When Veysel’s father discovered his son's passion for poetry, the saz, and language, he had a bağlama made for him. 
  • Almost anyone interested in Turkey's folk music and literature has a material as well as a spiritual relationship with Veysel. He was truly one of the most significant figures of the aşık tradition.

0 poetic mutterings: