Saturday, October 13, 2012

Faved!: Thom Donovan's Does the Document Promise?




--for Steve Siegel, in remembrance
Crying onto the documents doesn't make for very 
   good metadata

Do you believe me when I tell you I am crying while 
   I type this poem?

"The introduction of writing does not teach us how 
   to remember better, just gives us an excuse to 
   forget," said the Pharaoh to his scribe upon 
   presentation of the new invention

All the tenses of this earth are wrong today

Wondering if everything in heaven will be searchable 
   or whether it will be like totality

No need to search because everything is known 
   instantly, all good and cruel deeds like angels on 
   the head of a pin, even stupidity, because it is part 
   of knowing

Crying into the file folders, documents remind us 
   everything will one day be lost or ruined or totally 
   without context

What will become of promises, and do things also 
   make promises?

Does the document promise?

I would like the tense of the promise to be the tense 
   of the poem I am dedicating to you, just as soon 
   as I've written it

For, as the artist Jerome Caja says in reference to 
   his many friends and lovers who died of AIDS: "I 
   don't do stuff for the dead. I keep promises."

Now that everything becomes retrievable--
   notwithstanding totality--I am crying into the index, 
   soaking it with tears

I am crying into a pattern of search and retrieval and 
   losing everything because you can't be here.

0 poetic mutterings: